Thursday 12 June 2008

Tiger's Knee

More information has come to light about Tiger's knee. Apparently, Tiger has not actually even walked a full 18 holes yet in advance of his first round in the US Open later today.

Now, speaking as a veteran of 2 similar knee surgeries myself, this has to be a major concern (pun intended!). Like Tiger, I was assiduous in my rehabilitation regime and did all the exercises. However, when it came to even just walking again (never mind golfing), my brain subconsciously favoured my good leg for months, if not years afterwards. Luckily for me, it was my right knee and being a very poor golfer with bad weight transfer, my game didn't suffer much on my return! However, with a finely tuned and perfectly balanced athletic swing like Tiger's and a dodgy left knee, I can tell you that his brain will be protecting it on the follow through (either consciously or subconsciously), especially as he tires and it starts to ache, as it will, coming down the stretch. So, I wouldn't be surprised if he starts off brightly and falters on the back nine. If I knew enough about the golf swing, I'd speculate that if he doesn't follow through correctly, he'd probably start leaking shots to the right.

I hope I'm wrong and the knee holds up for his sake and for ours, the golf fans. I still think it would be extraordinary if he won, but then again, extraordinary has been his trademark for years!

No comments: